Building a Better B.C. for Everyone
VICTORIA — British Columbia’s new government has released a budget update that puts people first, Finance Minister Carole James announced today. The balanced Budget 2017 Update forecasts a surplus of $246 million in 2017/18 and takes key first steps to improve affordability, build better services for everyone, and invest in a strong, innovative economy that creates jobs and works for all British Columbians.
Finance Minister Carole James
Minister Carole James talks to the news media and stakeholders at the budget lockup, September 11th, 2017.
Building a Better B.C.
Reader-friendly, plain-language overview of Budget 2017 September Update.
- Budget News Release ( September 11, 2017 ): the budget overview distributed to news media.
- Budget Backgrounder:
- Budget and Fiscal Plan: the main budget document; it lays out the Province’s three-year fiscal plan, including economic outlook, revenues, spending, tax measures, and forecasting risks and assumptions.
- Budget Highlights: reader friendly, plain-language overview of the Budget 2017 September Update.
- Budget Speech: the Finance Minister's address to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
- Estimates: the detailed breakdown of proposed spending by ministry and government agency that must be debated and approved by the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
- Supplement to the Estimates: provides additional information on proposed spending, organized into major categories such as salaries, grants, capital, travel, and operations.
- Ministry Service Plans: provides an overview of every ministry and associated entities, including how they intend to achieve their service goals and how they support the direction laid out in the Government Strategic Plan.Ministry List
- Crown Agency Service Plans: provides an overview of every Crown agency, including how they intend to achieve their service goals and how they support the direction laid out in the Government Strategic Plan.Crown List
- Government Strategic Plan: sets out an overarching vision, goals and priority actions for the Province of British Columbia.